donderdag 26 juli 2012
On the 21 of July 1672 the Bishops of Munster and Cologne started their siege of the town of Groningen. The town was defended by regulars of the States' Army, the town Mililtia and a company of students of the University of Groningen. Their banner is still with us, albeit in a very bad condition, stored in the vaults of the University Museum, and the picture above is a copy of it, from the site of the Rijksmuseum. There are very few period colours left in the Netherlands, and this is one of them! The students company, also called the 'posh company', got this banner as a gift in 1667.